Wondering what supplements young women should take?
Your multivitamin needs to contain iron to replace what you lose when you have your period. Iron-deficiency anemia is common in young women, especially those with heavy periods. Make sure your multivitamin is NOT enteric-coated (sometimes the coating doesn’t break down and the vitamin is not absorbed) and that you take your vitamin with a full meal.
Are you under stress? Extra B-vitamins can help. The metabolism of the hormone serotonin in the brain is dependent on B-vitamins. Deficiency in serotonin causes fatigue, crabbiness, trouble coping and depression or anxiety.
Do you eat fish twice a week at least? If not, you might be missing some essential fatty acids (DHA and EPA) which are found in fish and, to a lesser extent, in flaxseed and other oils. Fish oil supplements can help decrease inflammation (i.e. aches and pains). There’s also evidence they are helpful in protecting the heart by decreasing triglyceride levels in the blood.
Do you get upset stomachs or find that you catch every bug your kids bring home from school? Probiotic supplements can help balance the good bacteria in the digestive tract and strengthen the immune system.
What kind of water are you drinking? Tap water? Bottled water? Filtered water? If you drink tap or filtered water please check with the EPA for local contaminants and use a filter that removes them. If you use bottled water be aware that it doesn’t contain fluoride for healthy teeth. Also consider that all those bottles have to go somewhere, usually into the landfill. Tabletop pitcher filters are an economical choice and Shaklee’s Get Clean Water system removes lead (one of the only pitcher filters that does) and filters twice as much water per filter as the leading store brands.
- Life Strip with Iron The best and most comprehensive supplement regimen on the market. Vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, all packaged in one little strip. This is what I take 🙂
- Vitalizer Women The better choice. Eighty nutrients perfectly packaged to be delivered to where they need to go for best absorption. Twelve patents on the delivery system alone! The most economical choice, and if you don’t feel better after 1 month you get your money back, no questions asked. Now includes cranberry extract for urinary health too!
- Vita Lea Women A great choice. A well-absorbed, well-tolerated multivitamin for women of childbearing age. The iron is derived from plants so it causes less stomach upset. Take with a full meal, just to be safe.
- B-Complex Helps out with stress, see above.
- OmegaGuard Pharmaceutical-grade fish oil made from sardines, no mercury or other heavy metals.
- OptiFlora DI 10 billion units of friendly bacteria, 4 different strains proven to support digestive and immune health.
- Get Clean Water