Your multivitamin should not contain iron unless you’ve been told that you’re iron deficient. Iron can build up in the body and damage tissues such as the liver and heart. Make sure your multivitamin is NOT enteric-coated (sometimes the coating doesn’t break down and the vitamin is not absorbed) and that you take your vitamin with a full meal.
Are you under stress? Extra B-vitamins can help. The metabolism of the neurotransmitter serotonin in the brain is heavily dependent on B-vitamins, and deficiency in serotonin causes fatigue, irritability, decreased coping and low mood or anxiety.
Do you eat fish twice a week at least? If not, you might be missing some essential fatty acids (DHA and EPA) which are found in fish and, to a lesser extent, in flaxseed and other oils. Fish oil supplements can help decrease inflammation (i.e. aches and pains) and there’s some evidence they are helpful in protecting the heart by decreasing triglyceride levels in the blood.
Do you get digestive upset or find that you catch every bug your kids bring home from school? Probiotic supplements can help balance the good bacteria in the digestive tract and strengthen the immune system.
What kind of water are you drinking? Tap water? Bottled water? Filtered water? If you drink tap or filtered water please check with the EPA for local contaminants and use a filter that removes them. If you use bottled water be aware that it doesn’t contain fluoride for healthy teeth. Also consider that all those bottles have to go somewhere, usually into the landfill. Tabletop pitcher filters are an economical choice and Shaklee’s Get Clean Water system removes lead (one of the only pitcher filters that does) and filters twice as much water per filter as the leading store brands.
- Life Strip without Iron The best and most comprehensive supplement regimen on the market. Vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, all packaged in one little strip.
- Vitalizer Men The better choice. Eighty nutrients perfectly packaged to be delivered to where they need to go for proper absorption. Twelve patents on the delivery system alone.
- Vita Lea Men A great choice. A well-absorbed, well-tolerated multivitamin for young men.
- B-Complex Helps out with stress, see above.
- OmegaGuard Pharmaceutical-grade fish oil made from sardines, no mercury or other heavy metals.
- OptiFlora DI 10 billion units of friendly bacteria, 4 different strains proven to support digestive and immune health.
- Get Clean Water