As a family doctor and a doctor who enjoys providing medical supervision for weight loss, I have a lot of REALLY big patients. They struggle with their weight for many reasons, but they all have one thing in common.
My patients have tried and failed to lose weight and keep it off many, MANY times.
As a result, some of them have given up. One patient actually said that, in so many words. “I tried to lose weight, but I couldn’t do it, so I gave up. Now I just eat whatever I want.” Yikes!
I LOVE helping people lose weight. It is the highlight of not only my medical practice, but my Shaklee business as well. Unfortunately, sometimes it’s difficult to get patients to see that yes, you CAN lose weight, there IS a program that will work for you! Even if you’ve failed before, you can lose weight AND keep it off!
Why do people fail at losing weight? There are so many reasons!
- Diets ask people to give up their favorite foods
- People don’t have time to spend hours per week at the gym
- People are too busy to cook multiple meals each day and do a lot of food prep
- What reason would YOU add?
These are all reasons why I’m so excited about a soon-to-be-published research article proving that people who have failed multiple times to lose weight and keep it off CAN lose weight without a restrictive diet and punishing hours-long sessions at the gym.
Let me have Dr. Wayne Wescott, PhD, professor of exercise science at Quincy College in Massachusetts, explain about this research project.
Talking points from the study:
- Participants had failed at weight loss an average of TEN times
- The program design was very doable. A 40-minute exercise program twice per week, incorporating both resistance training and cardio. Modest calorie restriction only in the first phase, participants could resume their normal diet in the second phase, just continuing a single protein shake per day.
- Over 80% of participants completed the initial phase of the program (not too hard or too restrictive)
- 75% of participants completed the second phase of the program
- Participants had success! They lost an average of 14 pounds of fat and added almost 4 pounds of muscle. That may not sound like a lot for those of us who watch the “lose 10 pounds in your first week or your money back” commercials on TV, but this is healthy, real, sustained weight loss for those who had failed A LOT in the past.
This is the exercise program used in the study. Each exercise is done in a single set, at a weight where you reach temporary total fatigue between 8 and 12 reps. This means that you can do 9 reps but not 10, or 10 reps but not 11. Do the exercises slowly and with control, with proper form.
DISCLAIMER: If you aren’t familiar with resistance exercises, you should invest in a session with a good personal trainer before starting any new exercise program. Many gyms have trainers available and some gyms provide a free session when you join.
- Leg extensions
- Leg curls
- Leg presses
- Cardio x 6 minutes
- Chest press
- Lat pull-down
- Shoulder press
- Cardio x 6 minutes
- Abdominal crunches
- Lumbar extensions
- Torso twist
- Cardio x 6 minutes
Some suggestions for cardio would be the elliptical treadmill, stationary bike, rowing machine, stair-stepper, or a fast walk or a jog on the treadmill. As long as you get your heart rate up and get a little out of breath, do what you like!
The meal-replacement protein shakes used in the research project were the Shaklee 180 products. They are easy to use, tasty, and manage hunger well while providing protein, fiber, omega-3 fatty acids and probiotics. The shakes are supplemented with the branched-chain amino acid leucine to support and preserve muscle mass. The products are low-glycemic and therefore diabetic friendly and never contain artificial flavors, sweeteners, preservatives or genetically-modified ingredients. You can see more about the products at this link.
The bottom line is that, even if you have failed at weight loss in the past, you CAN lose weight and you CAN keep the weight off. Shaklee and Dr. Wescott have proven it! Please don’t give up! Email me at email@example.com and let’s get started 🙂
QUESTION: Have you tried to lose weight and failed in the past?